Are you a fan of Filipino cuisine? Do you love crispy and flavorful chicken dishes but want to keep things healthy and low-fat? Look no further than these ten air fryer chicken recipes that are guaranteed to satisfy your cravings!
Why Use an Air Fryer?
Air frying is a healthier alternative to traditional frying methods. By circulating hot air around the food, it creates a crispy outer layer without the need for excessive oil. This method also reduces cooking time and eliminates the mess associated with deep-frying.
Guidelines for Using an Air Fryer
Before we dive into the recipes, here are some guidelines for using an air fryer:
- Prepare your chicken by trimming off any excess fat or skin.
- Preheat your air fryer according to its instructions.
- Lightly spray or brush oil on your chicken before placing it in the air fryer.
- Don’t overcrowd your basket – give each piece of chicken enough space so that it can cook evenly.
- Check on your food occasionally during cooking – flipping or shaking as necessary – this will prevent sticking.
With these simple guidelines out of the way, let’s jump right into the tasty part: our top ten crispy and delicious air fryer Filipino-inspired chicken dishes!
Recipe 1: Classic Adobo Chicken
Adobo is one of the most popular Filipino dishes, featuring salty-sour flavors from soy sauce and vinegar marinade, garlic & peppercorn seasoning gives extra fantastic taste buds experience! Try this quick recipe today.
– 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
– ⅓ cup soy sauce
– ½ cup white vinegar
– 3 cloves garlic, minced
– Peppercorns (to taste)
- Combine all ingredients except the chicken in a medium bowl and stir to mix well.
- Add the chicken to the marinade, making sure each piece is coated evenly.
- Leave it for minimum of 30 mins (or overnight for better taste)
- Preheat air fryer at 400°F.
- Place the marinated chicken into your air fryer basket and cook for 14-16 minutes or until cooked through.
Recipe 2: Lemon-Pepper Air Fryer Chicken Wings
These lemon-pepper chicken wings are perfect finger food! The tartness of fresh lemon juice contrasts with aromatic, spicy black pepper in this recipe.
– 1 lb. chicken wings
– Juice from one large lemon
– Salt (to taste)
– Coarse cracked black pepper (to taste)
- Rinse and dry your wings before placing them into a mixing bowl.
- Season your wings with salt & coarsely ground pepper and then pour over freshly squeezed juice from one large lemon on top.
- Mix well so that all pieces are coated evenly in seasoning– Cover, leave it for at least an hour to marinate inside fridge for better flavor absorption
- Preheat your air fryer to 390°F.
- Add marinated wings into basket without overlapping – cook about 12 minutes per side or until they reach desired crispiness.
Recipe 3: Cilantro-Lime Air Fryer Chicken Thighs
This dish offers Mexican flavors using lime zest, cilantro leaves with chopped garlic giving an extra tangy bite while still being smooth on spices!
– Four bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
– Freshly-grated lime zest
– Fresh cilantro leaves
– Garlic cloves – Chopped finely
-Olive oil (for coating)
1.Rinse off any excess fat from chicken and dry the thighs.
2. Combine cilantro, garlic & lime zest in a bowl
3. Rub the chicken with olive oil before covering each piece in cilantro-lime-garlic mixture.
4. Preheat air fryer to 400°F.
5.Place marinated chicken into basket without overlapping – cook for 12-15 minutes or until it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165°F.
Recipe 4: Air Fryer Chicken Tocino
Tocino is one of the popular Filipino breakfast dishes made with sweetened cured pork but this recipe using citrus fruit juice, sweet pineapple chunks and honey as natural sweeteners – perfect if you prefer a healthier version!
– Four boneless skinless chicken breasts
– Juice from two oranges
– Half cup fresh pineapple chunks (Optional)
– Two tablespoons honey
– One tablespoon soy sauce
1.Combine orange juice, honey, soy sauce & pineapple chunks combine well
2.Marinate your chicken inside fridge for few hours or overnight..
3.Preheat your air fryer to 375°F.
4.Remove excess marinade off the pieces then arrange them on basket without touching edges – Cook about 10mins per side or until nicely browned.
Recipe 5: Chicken Adobo-Powder Coated Fried Style
This variation will give crispy texture on top while still maintaining over-the-top adobo flavorings that Filipinos love!
-Marinated Chicken from recipe #1 above
-Tapioca flour/powder (replace corn starch)
1.After following instructions for Classic Adobo Chicken (recipe #1), remove extra liquid left behind by draining aside.. pat dry with paper towels
2.Pour tapioca powder/flour over cooked wings making sure all surfaces are properly coated before placing back into air fryer once again always cook in batches to prevent overcrowding.
3.Preheat air fryer to 350°F
4.Cook for about 5-7 minutes on each side or until fully golden crisp – enjoy your chicken with extra crunch.
Recipe 6: Air Fryer Chicken Inasal
This Filipino grilled dish has flavors of ginger, turmeric and fresh lime juice that create a tangy and aromatic taste which pairs perfectly with freshly cooked jasmine rice!
– Four bone-in skin-on chicken thighs
– Soy sauce
– Fish sauce (optional)
-Minced garlic cloves – About five pieces
-Lemongrass (sliced thinly)
-Juice from one large lemon
1.Rinse the chicken then marinate in soy sauce, lemon juice, minced garlic & turmeric powder for at least an hour. For best results marinade overnight inside fridge!.
2.Preheat air fryer at 380°F.
3.Arrange chicken onto basket putting some lemongrass sticks underneath before cooking turning once halfway through after around 15 mins total time is up.
Recipe 7: Pinoy-style Honey Garlic Chicken
A sure bet if you’re looking for something sweet yet savory! Great pairing options include steamed veggies or noodles.
– Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs/ Breasts (4 pcs)
– Minced Ginger – One tablespoon
– Chopped Garlic Clove – Two tablespoons
-Honey – Three tablespoons
– Soy Sauce – Half cup
1.Rinse off any excess fat from chicken and dry well.
2.Mix soy sauce, honey,minced ginger & chopped garlic inside mixing bowl making sure everything is combined thoroughly..
3.Place the coated chicken into your refrigerator to marinate for at least half an hour or more.
4.Once ready preheat air fryer to 400°F.
5.Arrange the marinated chicken into your air fryer basket and cook for 14-16mins, flip halfway through.
Recipe 8: Spicy Air Fryer Chicken Strips
This one is perfect for those who love a bit of heat! These spicy chicken strips are crispy on the outside thanks to the air fryer while still retaining juicy tenderness inside – yum!
– Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts (Two pcs – sliced)
– Chili powder – One tablespoon
-Garlic Powder – Half teaspoon
-Onion Powder – Half teaspoon
-Cumin Powder – A pinch
-Salt/Pepper (to taste)
1.Preheat your air fryer at 375°F.
2.Slice two boneless skinless chicken breasts horizontally into thin sections
3.Mix chili powder, garlic/onion/cumin powders & salt/pepper in bowl making sure each piece is coated evenly..
4.Spray cooking spray onto your basket before placing seasoned pieces onto it.
5.Cook about six-eight minutes, then flip the strips over and repeat until they’re fully cooked through.
Recipe 9: Crispy Garlic-Parmesan Air Fryer Chicken Drumettes
Who doesn’t love Parmesan cheese mixed with golden brown fried chicken? You can’t go wrong with this great combination that makes an excellent appetizer or entree.
– Four medium-sized chicken drumettes/drumsticks
-Olive Oil/Ghee melted butter
-Minced fresh garlic cloves
-Finely grated Parmesan Cheese Enough Quantity(Around half cup)
-Bread crumbs/powdered pork rind
1.Rinse off any excess fat from drumette before dabbing them dry.
2.Coat them well in olive oil/melted butter before setting aside.
3.Combine the grated Parmesan cheese, minced garlic & either bread crumbs or powdered pork rinds in mixing bowl.
4.Mix until everything is combined well then coat each drumette with the mixture making sure it’s coated evenly.
5.Preheat your air fryer at 380°F.
6.Place your finger food delicately on top using tongs without overlapping then Cook for 20 minutes – Enjoy!
Recipe 10: Air Fryer Chicken Curry
This chicken curry will taste just as good when made in an air fryer as it does in a traditional pot. The sauce is a thick, rich blend of coconut milk and spices that pairs perfectly with rice.
– Four bone-in skinless chicken thighs
– One can of coconut milk (13 oz)
– Two tablespoons yellow curry powder
-Juice from one large lemon
-Salt/pepper to taste
1.Rinse off any excess fat from chicken and pat them dry
2.Sprinkle salt & pepper over each thigh before placing into air fryer basket.
3.Set aside remaining ingredients, pour coconut milk onto separate container stirring in tablespoons of yellow curry powder along juice from freshly squeezed lemon..
4.Pour this evenly across chicken pieces inside basket coating them entirely.
5.Cook time varies based on portion size but preheat to about 370°F cooking for around twenty five-twenty seven minutes ensuring meat has cooked all way through.
These ten Filipino-inspired air fryer recipes are sure to excite your tastebuds while keeping things healthy and low-fat! From classic adobo chicken to spicy strips, there’s something here for everyone. Get out your air fryers today and try out some of these tasty dishes – you won’t be disappointed!
Can I marinate the chicken before air frying?
Yes, marinating the chicken is a great way to add extra flavor to your dish. It is best to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator before cooking.
Do I need to preheat my air fryer before cooking?
Yes, it is recommended that you preheat your air fryer for a few minutes (usually around 3-5 minutes) before adding your chicken. This will ensure that the temperature inside the air fryer is consistent and will help produce evenly cooked and crispy results.
Can I use boneless skinless chicken breasts instead of thighs?
Yes, while this recipe calls for bone-in chicken thighs, you can also use boneless and skinless chicken breasts if you prefer. Just make sure to adjust the cooking time accordingly since breast meat cooks faster than thigh meat in an air fryer. You may also need to reduce the temperature by about 25 degrees Fahrenheit when using breast meat so as not to overcook it on the outside but undercook it on the inside.